Undergraduate Teaching

Featured Students from Baruch

Goldie Gross wins the 2020 prize for the best Honors Thesis at Baruch College. She is headed to New York University’s Institute of Fine Arts for graduate work in art history. Her topic was on the Art of the Radical Yiddish Journal, “Der Hamer,” from the 1920s and 1930s.

ULaan Bataar, Mongolia, where I was lecturing on Lee Krasner at the Zanabazar Fine Arts Museum in Ulaanbaatar, my former undergraduate student at Baruch, Duka is a remarkable young woman and scholar, who is now “a Deputy Director of Marketing at the museum,” Despite her youth, she has risen rapidly. When I was a Fulbright scholar in June and July 2019, Duka managed the museum’s program for my grant.
Tayeba
Tayeba Hassan, graduating senior, 2014, completed an independent studies project on 20th century women artists. Her final paper investigated how contemporary women artists have considered the Muslim veil.
1
Rattan Singh Johal, Doctoral Student At Columbia University. He is a graduate of the Macaulay Honors College (at Baruch College), CUNY with majors in Art History (with Honors) and Political Science. He completed his Master’s degree at University of London’s Courtauld Institute, where he investigated the interplay of aesthetics and politics in globalised contemporary art. From January to December 2012, he worked at Khoj International Artists’ Association in a full-time capacity as Curator & Manager, Archives & Publications. He participated in the Independent Curators International (ICI) Curatorial Intensive (in collaboration with Performa 11) and has presented papers at academic conferences in the United States and India. He received the Getty Travel Grant to attend CIMAM’s 2012 Annual Conference in Istanbul, Turkey. In September 2013, he began studying towards a doctoral degree in Art History at Columbia University.

2014-03-16 14-2.42.16
Alexandra Fried, Ph.D.  born in Sweden, received her B.A. in Art History from Baruch College, taking several courses, including independent studies, with Professor Gail Levin. She then received her M.A. from Queens College and Ph.D. from University of Leicester in Great Britain. She is currently teaching art history at the University of Gothenburg in Gothenburg, Sweden. She participated in Making an innovative video on in 1998 as part of my course on the art Market. See an excerpt here: